Advocacy Action Alert – Seattle City Budget Feedback
YDEKC has been involved at the Seattle Human Services Coalition (SHSC) Steering Committee and Budget Committee level, present at the last two City Budget hearings, and testified at the first on behalf of youth services.
Right now is our window of opportunity to reach out to City Council members regarding the budget and speak to our concerns. We have been asking council members to adopt the entire SHSC Budget Recommendation, available in full here.
Below is a brief outline of the SHSC Budget Recommendation in the form of a letter template to be sent to your Councilperson. Please customize the template to speak to specific issues regarding your organization. It would be best to get feedback to Council members by Tuesday, Nov 1st. Council Member Burgess, who is budget chair, will present his balancing package on Nov 2nd.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
I urge you to pass the Seattle Human Services Coalition’s full budget recommendation package.
These are the specific items that have been discussed in budget deliberation:
- Minimum wage cost offset fund to prevent cuts to for state funded services
- Restore state level human services advocacy
- Restore SYVPI Recreation Funding
- Restore funding for Lazarus Day Center
- Fully fund all the recommendations for new or expanded services in the SHSC budget rec portfolio
- South Park Family Service Center
- Age Friendly Community Innovation Fund
- Community Connections through food banks
- DVSA flexible mobile advocacy funds
- Backpack programs for school-age children
- Restore funding for Transitional Housing cut from McKinney application
- Additional Parent Child Home Program funding
- Advocacy services for sexual assault victims
- Community Based Advocacy for Human Services at the State (OIR)
- Build high quality, coordinated afterschool systems (DEEL)
Seattle should be a city that works for everyone. We can do this if we make it our priority.
email@example.comBruce Harrell (President//District 2//South Seattle, Georgetown)
firstname.lastname@example.orgKshama Sawant (District 3//Central Seattle)
email@example.comRob Johnson (District 4//Northeast Seattle)
firstname.lastname@example.orgDebora Juarez (District 5//North Seattle)
Mike O’Brien (District 6//Northwest Seattle)
Sally Bagshaw (District 7//Pioneer Square to Magnolia)
Tim Burgess (Budget Chair, Position 8//Citywide)
Lorena Gonzalez (Position 9//Citywide)