- This event has passed.
Generating a Generation of Change (Thriving Youth, Day 2)
December 14, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
In order to build effective youth-adult relationships we must acknowledge the practices, policies, attitudes, and beliefs that often times get in the way of building the positive partnerships with youth that we strive for. Young people have been greatly affected by the on-going global pandemic. One of the biggest questions the youth development sector has had to grapple with is how we can authentically support young people especially during these hard and trying times. For our third event in our Thriving Leaders series, we’ll hear from young people directly about what they believe they need in order to thrive. We’ll learn strategies to center youth decision-making and leadership in our programs and organizations, challenge adultism, and explore models for adults to share power with youth. We will also dive into several mental health practices and strategies that support both youth and adults. Adults and youth age 14 and older are strongly encouraged to attend.
Event Format & Schedule
This event will take place virtually on Zoom, and participants will be strongly encouraged to participate actively through the chat box and group discussions, when applicable. The schedule is:
DAY 1: December 7, from 5:00-7:30 p.m.
- 5:00-5:45 p.m. — Keynote Panel of youth and adults
- 5:45-6:00 p.m. — Break
- 6:00-7:30 p.m. — Workshop A — This workshop will focus on centering youth voice. Read more in our recent blog post about this workshop!
DAY 2: December 14, from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- 6:00-7:30 p.m. — Workshop B — This workshop will focus on mental health and well-being for youth and adults. Read more in our recent blog post about this workshop!
Registrants will also receive access to session recordings and materials, in case circumstances make it difficult for you to attend. Automated closed captioning and transcription will be available during the sessions (excluding breakout rooms) via Zoom.
For our 2021 Thriving Leaders Series, we are drawing on five years of our popular Social & Emotional Learning Symposium and elevating the voices of those who are cultivating racially equitable programs and systems, with a focus on shifting adult practices so Black, Indigenous, and youth of color thrive. “Generating a Generation of Change” is our third event in this series. Check out highlights from our first event, Thriving as a Leader in Changing Times., and our second event, Building an Organizational Culture That Supports Your Team to Thrive.
At YDEKC we seek to provide events that are accessible and welcoming to all. Here is a list of some of the ways we are making this event accessible:
- Inviting registrants to share accommodation requests when they register, at least two weeks before the event;
- Sharing participant expectations in the event description — such as whether there will be breaks, breakout rooms, and types of engagement;
- Encouraging our presenters to incorporate accessibility into their presentation materials;
Providing multiple ways to join virtual events — for example, via computer or phone;
- Automated closed captioning will be available during the sessions (excluding breakout rooms) via Zoom’s Live Transcription feature;
- Registrants will receive access to session recordings and any materials or resources offered by presenters.
In order to make our learning events accessible to all, we offer a scale of fee options. Please choose the fee that is meaningful and possible for you at this time.
YDEKC Members are encouraged to choose one of our discounted rates (B, C, or D), and youth are encouraged to choose option D ($0).
There will be no refunds available after December 6, 2021, although we do allow registration transfers. For those who can’t attend the event live, we suggest retaining your registration and watching the recordings that will be made available to all registrants.
Registrants will receive all event details for both event days.
Registration closes December 14 (at 5:30 p.m.) for both event days.
1. Click to choose your ticket, input the Attendee’s information, then click Continue.
2. Complete your registration and input any payment details, then click Submit.