YDEKC’s survey tools help our members measure what matters
For the past several years, YDEKC has focused on identifying the key skills and dispositions that contribute to young people’s success in school, work, and life. The Youth Engagement, Motivation, and Beliefs Survey was developed to provide youth programs with information on the development of these skills and dispositions in the youth they serve. It includes survey scales targeting the following areas: Academic Identity, Future Orientation, Mindsets, Self-Management, Interpersonal Skills, and Cultural Identity (NEW module in 2016).
For younger children, YDEKC has used survey items developed by Child Trends. The Child Trends Student Survey is intended to provide programs with information on the development of select skills and dispositions in the children they serve. It includes survey scales targeting the following areas: Academic Self-Efficacy, Mastery Orientation, Self-Control, and Persistence.
In addition, both surveys ask young people to reflect on their experiences in programs with items that probe their sense of belonging and engagement in program activities. The youth survey also includes a series of questions about the effects of the program on their academic behaviors and self-management skills.
As of Spring 2016, YDEKC is making both surveys available to our member organizations upon request. Please visit the links below for more information:
- Using YDEKC Surveys PPT (PDF format): Orients members to the survey and provides background on measuring skills and beliefs in young people
- Comparing Survey Types: A tip sheet summarizing different approaches to youth self-report surveys
- Catalog of Survey Measures by Skill Area 2016: A quick overview of survey scales and what we know about their psychometric properties
- About the YDEKC Youth Survey: Provides an overview of YDEKC’s youth survey for 6th-12th graders. See also a sample version of the survey and a sample report of survey results.
- (NEW!) Motivation, Engagement, and Beliefs Survey Validation Report: Technical report summarizing reliability and validity evidence on YDEKC’s youth survey.
- YDEKC Youth Survey Workbook: A workbook for entering and tabulating results from YDEKC’s Youth Skills and Beliefs Survey.
- About the Child Trends Survey: Provides an overview of Child Trends survey measures for 3rd-5th graders. This survey is based on a recent report on Measuring Elementary Students’ Social and Emotional Skills (external link). See also a sample version of the survey and a sample report of survey results.
For more information about YDEKC’s survey work, please contact Sarah Terry.