On June 3, we had our YDEKC family, friends, and community members join us as we hosted our first annual King County Youth Development Advocacy Day! We shared stories and advocacy tips to help get the vote out for the upcoming Best Starts for Kids 2.0 Renewal. We had a great turnout and are excited to continue sharing follow-up resources with you! If you were unable to attend the event, here is a recording available to view.
We want to continue advocating and help get the vote out for the Best Starts for Kids 2.0 Renewal Campaign.
To help you get started, these resources can be shared with your family, friends, and community members:
- Our event slides,
- BSK Campaign’s Overview slides and one-page flyer about BSK,
- And our BSK Renewal Pledge flyer.
In addition to these resources, we created a fun, interactive game: Jeopardy: BSK & Advocacy Edition! It was a great community-building activity we hosted during our event, and it’s a great way to engage your family, friends, and community members to test their BSK knowledge.
We also want to thank our guest speakers, Risho Sapano, Executive Director, Mother Africa and Ginger Kwan, Executive Director, Open Doors for Multicultural Families for sharing their stories of impact on how Best Starts for Kids has helped their organizations serve young people and families across King County. To learn more about our amazing speakers and their organizations, visit Mother Africa and Open Doors for Multicultural Families.
To help keep the momentum, we created our BSK Renewal Pledge!
We had 17 of our attendees that pledged their support, and we need your (and everyone else’s) help to:
- Share stories on social media about how BSK helps organizations like yours!
- Inform your board about the BSK Renewal in August and rally their support!
- Have your organization endorse the BSK Renewal Campaign!
- Encourage others to vote when ballots go out on July 16!
- Host events (virtual or in-person) to spread the word and get the vote out!
Please also join YDEKC and the Best Starts for Kids team on June 16 at 4:00PM for a Best Starts for Kids Community Conversation to go over the final stages of the implementation plan. As we get closer to the August Primary, we will continue to share any additional materials and information.
More about the BSK Renewal Campaign
The official BSK Renewal Campaign is kicking into high gear, and a number of campaign events are now on the calendar around King County. Each of the following events will feature King County Executive, Dow Constantine, as a guest speaker! Be sure to encourage friends and family to attend and get the vote out!
- 07/09: Eastside Community Event: Best Starts for Kids Campaign
- 07/12: Southeast King County Community Event: Best Starts for Kids Campaign
- 07/13: Southwest King County Community Event: Best Starts for Kids Campaign
This post will be updated with any additional events, information, and resources as they become available.
To make sure you stay up to date, please follow YDEKC’s social media channels, RSVP to upcoming events, subscribe to YDEKC’s newsletters and stay tuned all summer for more content to help promote the Best Starts for Kids Renewal Campaign. Thank you for supporting thriving youth!